Large Skillet or Electric Skillet, Jumbo Sauté Pan, Tongs, Magic Bullet or Small Blender
- 2-3 cans whole tomatoes (with basil if available)
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1/2 sautéed sweet onion chopped fine
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 TBSP fresh chopped basil
- 2 TBSP fresh chopped oregano
- 2-4 TBSP sugar (optional)
- Salt, pepper, extra garlic, and dried Italian seasoning to taste.
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves whole for garnish
- 2 eggplants
- 1-2 cups of grated Pecorino Romano
- Olive oil
- 1 box Angel hair pasta
- Wash the eggplant and slice into 1/8-¼ inch slices.
- Layer slices on a plate or baking dish salting each layer well. Then place weighted dish on top. Allow it to sit for a 3-hour minimum. (You can do this overnight.) This pulls the bitterness out of the eggplant.
While waiting on the eggplant make your sauce.
- Sauté onion in 1Tbsp olive oil. First pull apart tomatoes crushing them with your hands and place in 4-6qt. (Blend for a smoother texture). Add tomato sauce, garlic, basil, oregano, sugar, salt, and pepper. Add extra Italian seasoning as to taste.
- Cover pan and cook on medium heat until whistle sounds. Reduce heat to low and turn whistle to vent. Allow to simmer while you prepare the eggplant.
- Cook Angel Hair according to box directions.
- Place eggplant in a colander and rinse well, thoroughly squeezing out liquid. Pre-heat skillet at 350° for electric skillet or just over medium on the sauté pan. Lightly coat each side of the eggplant with olive oil as you place in pan. Coat the opposite side while it is cooking the first. Brown each side, and then place on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Line each dish with a thin layer of pomodoro sauce. Add one slice of eggplant; add a bit of sauce (1-2 TBSP), and a sprinkle of cheese. Repeat 3-4 times. Be careful not to add too much sauce and cheese. A little bit goes a long way. Serve with a side of angel hair with the Pomodoro sauce and a whole fresh basil leaf right on top for garnish. Optional- sprinkle chopped, fresh basil atop angel hair.
Putting it together: