Large skillet, Food Cutter/Salad Machine, #4 cone
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 2 red gala apples
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh apple juice
- 1/2 stick butter
- Slice 2 apples using the Food Cutter/Salad Machine and the #4 cone.
- Add sugar and butter to skillet. Cook at medium heat turning pan often while sugar melts. Turn skillet to coat bottom and sides of pan.
- Meanwhile, mix vanilla cake mix, 2 eggs, apple juice and vanilla extract.
- Once sugar has caramelized, quickly add apples in an even layer across the bottom of skillet. Next place an even layer of cake mix. Cover apples evenly and quickly. Cover. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 12 minutes or until fork inserted into the center of cake comes out clean. *Take care not to lave cake uncovered for long periods of time. Check for doneness and quickly recover to keep from burning.
- Once cake is cooked through, run butter knife between cake and edge of pan to loosen. Cover with a serving plate. Quickly turn pan upside down, allowing the pan to fall to the serving platter. Lightly tap bottom of skillet (cover with towel first to prevent burning your hands). Remove skillet. Replace any apples still left on pan to cake.
- Serve with dollop of whipped cream and enjoy!